UPDATE 5/4/16: It’s just come to my attention that Apple recently changed the expiration length of free provisioning profiles from 90 days to 7, which renders this sideloading method basically dead. I suggest using the website appishare.com as an alternative to download apps on your device without jailbreaking.
In this method, you’ll need to create a free provisioning profile with Xcode, rewrite the cracked IPA file with iModSign, and then install the app on your device with Xcode. I came across this idea through this video and figured out how to do it myself. This method has been tested on both an iPhone 5S and iPad 3 running iOS 9.3.1, and it works fine.
- A computer running Mac OS X Yosemite or higher.
- An Apple developer account (you can create one for free using your Apple ID)
- Xcode 7 (for creating a provisional profile and installing apps)
- iModSign (for rewriting IPA files)
- An IPA file (you can download just about anything at mob.org)
1. Connect your device to your computer and run Xcode.
2. Go to Xcode > Preferences > Accounts and click the plus sign at the bottom left corner to add an Apple ID. Enter your credentials and click Sign In.
3. Go to File > New > Project and choose Game. Click Next.
4. Enter a Product Name (example: TestApp), Organization Name (example: com.kenzothespy), select a Device Type (Universal, iPhone, or iPad), and click Next.
5. Choose a destination to save your project folder (desktop is fine) and click Create.
6. Go to Product > Destination and select your connected device.
7. Select your name in the Team field and click Fix Issue.
8. Go back to Xcode > Preferences > Accounts and select your Team profile then click View Details. Under signing identities click Create for all of the available options.
9. Right-click on your listed provisioning profile and choose Show in Finder. Copy and paste your provisioning profile onto the desktop.
10. Go to Window > Devices and select your connected device.
11. Open iModSign and select Setup Code Signing and click Ok once the code signing tool installers has been invoked.
12. Click Select Developer Certificate and choose Use this certificate with iModSign.
13. Click Select a Provisioning Profile and choose the provisioning profile on the desktop.
14. Drag and drop your downloaded IPA file into iModSign and click Start Job.
15. Drag and drop the rewritten IPA file from the iModSign folder into Xcode and it will install the app on your device.
16. When you open the newly installed app on your device, a popup will say Untrusted Developer. Go to Settings > General > Device Management and select your ID then select Trust and then Trust again.
That’s it! Now you can use the app on your device. Just keep in mind that you won’t be able to update any apps installed through this method in the app store, and you’ll also have to renew your provisioning profile after a period of time (it expires after 90 days), or else the apps will no longer work on your device. There are also some other limitations listed here.
Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions.